Sausages and Kumara Smash
with Sweet Onion Gravy
- Serves: 3-4
- Prep time: 10 min
- Cooking time: 25 min
1 packet Heartland NZ pork sausages
- 500g kumara, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp parsley, roughly chopped
- Pepper to taste
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp sage, roughly chopped
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp oil
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Place kumara in a pot of salted boiling water and cook until soft – about 20 minutes.
- While the kumara cooks, prepare the sweet onion gravy. Heat some oil and butter in a pan over low heat, and fry onions, garlic and sage until soft. Add stock and brown sugar, and cook for 20 minutes – or until thick.
- Meanwhile, brown the Heartland NZ pork sausages in a pan over high heat. Once browned on all sides, place on a tray and cook in the oven for about 10 minutes, or until cooked through.
- To make the mash, drain the kumara, and mash together with butter, parsley and pepper.
- To serve, place sausages over mash and top with sweet onion gravy.